Thursday, June 18, 2009

If you just realize what I just realized...

Hey y'all! I thought I should update, since it's been a while. I'm still working at the bakery. Two weeks ago was the anniversary of when this specific store opened so we had a week-long celebration sale, which translated into more hours for me :)....and, subsequently, a cold the following week. I was really scared because the symptoms felt just like mono- AND I DO NOT WANT IT AGAIN!!! I don't think you can get it again either... but all the same I was worried. Luckily, I've pulled through, although I'm still suffering from some post-nasal drip.

Something interesting that's happened is that Steve and Susan, the ballroom coaches apparently know my name!!! Surprising, since I haven't had the best of luck with partners and haven't actually made it past the newcomer division. :'( But they singled me out a few times in class to answer questions or tell me what I'm doing wrong. It's exciting! That must mean I'm not a horrible dancer, if they noticed me (I hope). But right now we're learning technique as opposed to steps, and it is hard! But worth it!

So A. came back from Taiwan, and brought back a farmer's hat (the one in my picture)... just like I wanted!! It is sooo cute, but I look like a dork in it because this is not Taiwan and I'm not a farmer! Very good for keeping my face out of the sun, however.

I tried taking a mandolin lesson the other week, but I decided it's too expensive!!$25 for a half-hour! I'd rather look at videos online or read a book. I found a really great website, where this guy posted videos of how to play some popular songs on guitar. I have a hard time strumming so it's good this guy breaks it down. I'll send you the link if you want! I really like the new song by Colbie Caillat "Realize." Kinda makes me want to cry though.

And I found someone to practice Chinese with/practice teaching English. She's from Taiwan and took English in school but this is her first time in the US and she's not very confident speaking English. So we meet up once in a while and talk. She's actually very good- not fluid, but I can understand her perfectly. If she doesn't know the word she's looking for, she describes it so I can guess. So I think she's amazing- especially if you compare my second-hand Chinese with her second-hand English. I think her main weaknesses are vocab and writing/reading, but again she's pretty darn good for only studying it in school. Sidenote: she says my tones are very clear!!! :)

So I've been watching So You Think You Can Dance (SYTYCD) and I loved the premier show! Kupono is my favorite so far (last year I liked the Hawaiian guy too...int!). I also like Brandon, Asuka... and the guy who does really awesome locking/popping/whatever it's called. The only thing I don't like is the word "buck" or "stank." I just dont' get it. :P I want to learn some hip-hop sometime though. AND if you search for any clips, look up the bollywood number! I just about died at the ending kiss.

In other news, A. and I are planning a trip to California in August!! To see my darling Kathryn and explore the San Franciso/LA area. I've also never been to the ocean so we have to put that on our list. Part of me wants to go to Disney World because I've never been to either Disney park...but I gotta keep in mind that we're only going to be there for a week.

My lord, there is so much I want to do but so little time to do it! I always paint over the summer but I haven't gotten around to it juuust yet and I've been meaning to go work out for weeks...

So I haven't heard back from EMU yet. I'm starting to get .... frustrated. I'd kinda like to know if I got rejected so I can freak out about what I'm going to do with my life: teach English in Taiwan, go join a convent in France, etc. :P If you have a moment, please say a prayer for me, because I don't want to have to reapply to grad school. :(

Okay, I'm signing out, and going home this weekend for Father's day!

No comments: